
Every once in a while I get an urge to reflect on the random things in life. Today is one of those days. So this morning as I get ready for my measly 3 mile run, nowhere close to The District's 12.8 mile run I see that the mindlessness of the Today Show with Hoda Kotb and Kathie Icky Gifford (where the eff did she come from? But that's another post) is preempted with the White House Welcoming Ceremony for the Pope.
Anthems are played, prayers are sung and gratuitous speeches (Thanks G-Dub) are made. While all of these 'pleasantries' are exchanged, I go on my run.
FFWD 4.5 hours later (including the 36:07min that I ran) to me studying at my neighborhood coffee shop. As I sit outside working on electron configurations, I see cops posted at various intervals along Rhode Island Avenue. Ahh, I think to myself, this must be part of the route His Holiness will take to one of his many visits throughout DC.
Living in this place for as long as I have, I have seen a multitude of motorcades, all of them pretty much the same; Black limousines, giant SUV's, police motorcycles and cars with sirens blaring and lights flashing. The Pope's motorcade will probably not be much different, with the exception of the Popemobile.
Then it hits me; I live in a great, powerful, historical city where many decisions about this country and other countries are made, confidential conversations are held, and people with power (actual power, not the day in and day out douchebags that work downtown and on the hill that think they really make a difference, I digress) visit on a regular basis. At this moment, there are thousands of people that have taken the day off of work to get up at the crack of dawn, gather their families together, and travel far and wide all in hopes to get a glimpse of a man who they deem as holy. This is an AMAZING place, The Pope, is in our country on his birthday and he is no more than a 5 mile distance away from me at all times!!! And to think, I take this all for granted...
Wow! The Pope is in town!! I need to get with the program! Realize my priorities in life and FOCUS!! It is 3:45pm. I need to run to the bank, go get Diet Pepsi cause I only got one left, and I need to get ready for work!! Eff all this noise, I gotta go...

1 comment:
the pope followed Dancin and I to NYC...who's powerful now? :)
I do have to admit, Dancin's gracious hosts and I did watch part of the papal mass at yankee stadium sunday afternoon--as we discussed how sacrilegious our last five days were...oops.
Post a Comment